Have you wondered what all the fuss is about with chia seeds, the little black seeds which can seem pretty expensive and tasteless?
Well there are a number of great ways to use chia seeds which will get you as excited as we are about these little powerhouse seeds.
Chia are high in omega 3 fatty acids, protein and fibre, and you will see a whole range of claimed nutritional benefits from them online. This combination of fat, protein and fibre, means the seeds are digested relatively slowly, which provides a slow release of energy and that keeps blood-sugar levels stable.
But how can you use them? Maybe you just wonder what all the fuss is about or you bought some for a recipe and aren’t sure what to do with the rest.
Well heres my top 6 uses for chia seeds.
(1) Keep it simple and sprinkle they are great sprinkled on your breakfast cereal, porridge or salad
(2) Chia jam whizzing up some fruit puree and adding these seeds will make a fabulous jam. Great for toast, puddings, porridge, cakes etc
This beautiful batch by @libertylovesuk was jammy fruity gorgeousness
(3) Chia puddings can be chocolate or coconut, fruit or juice. Great for breakfasts or dessert. Here is one of my favourite, Fruity Coconut Chia
(4) Chia pancakes why not whip up a batch of pancakes, and add in extra chia seeds that you have soaked overnight beforehand. They make a great addition!
(5) Lemon Chia Seed Muffins/Cake instead of using poppy seeds in this classic recipe, try chia. Just wait until the cake is cool before frosting!
(6) Avocado on toast with chia, cashew and craisins just yummy
Photo: California Avocado Toast with Cashews, Chia, and Cranberries / I Wash You Dry
Do you have any favourites or recipes to share, do let us know!